Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: My review of yesterday's LP *spoilers* Pics added

  1. #1
    DarrensPassion
    Guest DarrensPassion's Avatar

    Smile

    Hi guys, I'm back and still feeling totally overwhelmed, over-awed, amazed, inspired and shaking from feeling so much yesterday!!

    Well I will try and remember all the details I can for you. I'm going to describe the events first and later talk about the music as I need more time to organise my thoughts and look at all the notes I made. We were allowed in finally just before 12 noon, they seemed to be running a little late for some reason, possibly due to the large numbers of people who turned up - must have been nearly 100 or so!! We all signed our waivers and then had our cameras checked and bags searched, but we were allowed to take them in with us. We were each given a copy of the tracklisting, a survey to fill in, and that beautiful promo pic.

    We listened to the album, note there was absolutely no squealers in amongst us [img]wink.gif[/img] As soon as the music started I felt the shivers all over my body from that incredible voice. If I could describe the overall genre of the album I would say that musically it sounds like a cross between some of Bjork's work on Vespertine mixed with the electronic beat of some of Goldfrapp's music. But really there is nothing to compare it with out there. I mention Bjork because she has the ability to paint pictures with her music in the most beautiful, artistic way and this I think is what Darren captured on one or two of the slower songs. I was thrown from feelings of such heart breaking sadness for him to wanting to just get out of my chair and dance like a banshee!!

    Track 1 has such an ethereal quality to it. Those lyrics I just can't get them out of my head. I think this is one of my favourites on the whole album. It's such a beautiful song, longing to be loved, yet fearing it at the same time in case he's hurt by it all over again.

    Track 2 is pretty electronic but with a heart to it. It contains the lyrics to the title of the album and you can really sense the electricity in the air of attraction, ie the spark. It's such a clever way of using the music to illustrate that concept.

    Track 3 There's a sense of self realisation going on here. I can't really remember or conjure up the music to this one again I'm afraid. It's really difficult to remember everything just on one hearing of it.

    Track 4 This I believe is going to be the first single to be released, July 12th was mentioned by Leonie, which is the day after PITP and she did say that they were going to put feelers out for Darren to appear as he loves doing PITP and it would be incredibly good timing since the single will be released the very next day. It's very angsty, very electronic. He's cocking a snoop at people who sell themselves out for success by prostituting themselves at the altar of fame. He even admitted before that he's been sucked up into all this but has since taken a few steps back to get back a sense of perspective and reality. It's a very powerful sound.

    Track 5 This is talking about hitting rock bottom, it's very emotional, lots of violin sounds but they were actually produced with synthesizers. It's a beautiful song, very emotive and evocative of that period in his life when he was not in happy head space.

    Track 6 I just loved this song. It's got such an amazing hook to it and this was the one where I could feel my feet tapping. This could be a really good single release for him and would work brilliantly in clubs etc. It talks about not wanting people to put him on a pedestal and needing to be allowed to be human and make mistakes.

    Track 7 My other favourite on this album. OMG what a painful song to listen to. I can well imagine his mother and sister being in tears listening to this. I would say this definitely stems from his feelings in childhood. There are feelings of worthlessness, and a sense of desperation as he pleads and begs to be loved. He's so questioning of himself and the emotions on display here are so raw, you can feel him opening up his veins and allowing the blood to flow. There's a haunting mood to it. I felt quite trembly listening to this one and drained because of the heart rending lyrics.

    Track 8 Evokes a sense of emptiness. I think he's expressing the idea that sometimes in the public eye, a little piece of your inner soul is taken away from you and that nobody can see the real him inside.

    Track 9 Now the album is turning from Darren's self questioning of himself to a self realisation that he needs to forgive himself in order to forgive others and so allow himself to feel happy again. It's about letting go of the past and moving on.

    Track 10 This is such an intimate song. It has a very spiritual feel to it, rather like he is confessing to someone, or addressing a third person. This is quite painful to listen to as well. There is an almost pious nature about it. It's not really to do with romantic love but with his relationship with God but not in an overtly religious way, more spiritually. Again very etheral sounding.

    Track 11 He's got so much to say, the pace of it is frantic and very fast. I found it extremely difficult to pick up and hear all the lyrics. He needs to get them out of his system. He's frustrated by the lack of love and wants something deeper than mere lust. The idea here is that you could look endlessly for love yet never really find it. It's full of opposites. It's a wonderful song and I love this one - another favourite.

    Track 12 Is fairly ironic in tone yet melancholic at the same time. It's about not wanting people to humour him or flatter him but wanting a real connection so you can communicate properly. He just wants to be real and relax. It's self-deprecating.

    Track 13 Again this is about letting go and self forgiveness.

    OK that is a fairly brief synopsis of my thoughts on this album. I would love to hear it again because there's definitely much more than the things I've outlined here, but it's impossible to get the full meaning on just one listen. Darren said he wanted a title that would make people think a little bit more about the album. Leonie said it will not be released until late August/early September here in the UK as this has something to do with Sony and they need time to get the promo right as this album is a complete change of direction musically for Darren. I think there's still a fair amount of work to be done in that area. I must say we all groaned at that! Oh and btw he did say that the DVD would be out at the same time as the album. We'll have to hold him to that one! [img]wink.gif[/img]

    After that Darren came in to a barrage of camera flashes and hosted a question and answer session. I have to say what a gracious man he is and so very sincere and honest in everything he has to say. He gave very full answers and was a bit cheeky too [img]wink.gif[/img] He was in black from head to toe and devoid of all jewellery except for a necklace which wasn't the turquoise cross this time. After that it was time for us all to go up and get our pics with him and a signed pic or whatever. I have to say I was shaking a bit. When it was my turn, I gave my camera for Wendy to take our pic. I wasn't quite sure what to do first as my hands were full. I was intending to hug him, but I fumbled and just took his hand. I'm kicking myself about that actually. I then handed him my gifts, the one from Maria in Italy and mine which was a book, The Prophet by Kalil Gibran, that lebanese philosopher and poet. He said Awwwww thank you so much and seemed to know who he was and was delighted with the gift. Given the whole scenario I felt I gave him a really appropriate gift. I'm sure he will read it and I put a very personal message inside the book for him to read. He then pulled me in close and cuddled me really tight as Wendy took our picture. As I turned to go afterwards, I looked back at him and he gave me the most amazing smile and the words, thank you so much for coming today. I felt like he really meant it and I just wanted to run up and hug him but the moment was gone as there were so many people behind me waiting for their turn. Why did I not fling my arms around him - probably because I've not met him before yesterday but I really should have done - that's my only regret. I hope the picture turns out nice. I have to get my film finished and developed as my camera is not a digital one unfortunately.

    I then went and spoke to Robert and told him how much I loved the album. He's so sweet and nice, but fairly shy and quiet. I asked if he would mind if I took his picture and he said no. He was very obliging and then someone took a picture of Robert and me together. He was very friendly and sweet to talk to. Gosh haven't I rambled on and on and on here, sorry it's so long, but I wanted to remember everything before I forget the details.

    I have a few more thoughts to convey about this.

    There is a poem by Robert Browning and this quote really struck me as so appropriate "Oh that a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's Heaven for?" It's that constant searching for the unattainable in life but realising that sometimes you need to keep aspiring to it or else you do not retain that humbleness of spirit. If we were to have our every desire granted to us then we would be in danger of letting our egos get out of hand and prevent ourselves from learning any more about ourselves or be open to new heights and depths of our emotions. Our lives seem to be a constant journey of self discovery and it's the journey and what we discover about ourselves along the way that's more important than the destination itself. It's about what we do with the time that is given to us that counts. That kabbalistic concept just resonated deeply with what I've heard in the Tension and The Spark. In fact I'm almost at the point where I think that this is in the fact the musical interpretation of such an idea. It seems as though this album is not about mere entertainment but it has something deeply profound to communicate to us.

    I've often had the feeling that there is this deeply personal struggle going on inside Darren, that he often wrestles with these kind of paradoxes about himself and life but that now he is older and a little wiser he's coming to terms with some of this.

    It's not an easy album to listen to because of the painful emotions expressed but sometimes in order to fully appreciate something we have to set aside any pre-conceived ideas and step outside our comfort zones. I think this album may have been conceived not purely for entertainment reasons but to communicate something infinitely more profound. From what's already been mentioned, it's deep, mysterious and intriguing as well as deeply soul searching. To me it seems as though this is a piece of work that was written and conceived not purely just for himself but for all of us in order to gain some inner knowledge about ourselves. I think there is plenty to relate to here.

    I do feel that Darren may have had some kind of spiritual epiphany and he?s opened a door into the deepest recesses of his soul. It?s difficult to listen to because it?s not only his truth but it?s our truth as well and there?s a deep resonance that echoes in each one of us that hears it. The truth is sometimes difficult to listen to and often difficult to absorb. Songs that take you back to a place and time in your history. This is yet another chapter in the soundtrack to Darren?s life. Every raw emotion spills out. It?s art in it?s purest form and he?s a master of lyrical communication.

    OK now I want to talk about the music itself rather than the lyrics because until we get those it's a little difficult to interpret their full meaning. I managed to jot down a few that struck a chord and there are some that are still going round and round inside my head. But I'd like to describe how I actually feel about this new sound.

    For me this was a whole new experience musically. The music is artisitically bold and daring. It's extremely powerful and different. I loved the layering of sounds which lend a complexity to the structure of the music. At times it felt as though sounds were being hurled at you from all sides. Their sheer unpredictability was an assault on the senses. Some of them are totally unexpected, shocking even. Then there were sounds that literally grab you and wrap you up in them, you can almost see them and feel them swirling around you. Some creep up on you on the inside and then explode like fireworks. Others are so delicate they are barely perceptible. They are imbued with the gentlest of touches, ethereal and mystical, almost spiritual in essence as though you can feel yourself float up inside your body into your head and touch a part of your senses that you didn't know existed before.

    There is an almost synaesthetic feel to the music, like painting pictures with sounds. I felt at times as though I was being hurled against a wall or stabbed repeatedly with the sheer force of it. Others feel like the gentlest caress upon your skin. This was a totally sensual experience. I felt as though I was being taken to another realm or dimension inside the music. Darren has really explored the sensual side of the music, so much so that I could really delve deeply inside my mind with it. I just wanted to relax and allow the music to take me to places I'd never been before.

    All this combined with Darren's emotive voice and raw, passionate lyrics combines to make for a very potent, explosive mix. There are sounds and effects here that cannot be produced using traditional instruments. It's innovative and has a very new age feel to it and an album which you can totally abandon yourself to and let go.

    Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to amalgamate all my thoughts and feelings into this one thread for you all

    Janie xx

    Janie xx

    <font color="#9966FF"><font size="1">[ May 02, 2004 09:01 AM: Message edited by: DarrensPassion ]</font></font>

    <font color="#9966FF"><font size="1">[ May 04, 2004 06:41 AM: Message edited by: DarrensPassion ]</font></font>

    <font color="#9966FF" size="1">[ May 07, 2004 03:58 PM: Message edited by: DarrensPassion ]</font>

  2. #2
    Twizzle
    Guest Twizzle's Avatar

    Post

    Awww - thank you Janie - that was a truly wonderful review of a very memorable experience. It almost feels like I was there myself. [img]smile.gif[/img]

    I'm so pleased that you love the album and I'm doubly thrilled that you finaly got to meet him properly. I'm sure that he loved your gift and that he will treasure it. He seems like a very sweet man and I sincerely hope that this album gives him everything that he dreams of.

    Thanks again hun. [img]graemlins/girl_hug.gif[/img]

  3. #3
    DarrensPassion
    Guest DarrensPassion's Avatar

    Post

    Thanks Terry [img]smile.gif[/img] It's just such a pity we're going to have to wait a bit longer than anticipated for the album to be released.

    Janie xx

  4. #4
    Twizzle
    Guest Twizzle's Avatar

    Post

    Originally posted by DarrensPassion:
    Thanks Terry [img]smile.gif[/img] It's just such a pity we're going to have to wait a bit longer than anticipated for the album to be released.

    Janie xx
    <font size="3" face="Tempus sans ITC, Papyrus,Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">*wonders whether or not to post the same reply as I did on the f/c bbs* [img]wink.gif[/img]

    Nah! This thread is getting spooky! *lol*

    Yep, it is a shame and I just hope that it's worth the wait and that I can sustain my ever dwindling interest in him. We shall see.... [img]smile.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Angelgirl
    Guest Angelgirl's Avatar

    Post

    Thanks for that Janie, you write very well, I could almost have been there. Can't wait to see your pictures. [img]smile.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Dryzabone
    Guest Dryzabone's Avatar

    Post

    As always Janie you have a real gift when reviewing....(I skipped the music bits though). Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful day!

    I hope Darren does manage to come to Australia at some stage so *some* fans here have the opportunity to see him like this too.

  7. #7
    Twizzle
    Guest Twizzle's Avatar

    Post

    Originally posted by Dryzabone:
    I hope Darren does manage to come to Australia at some stage so *some* fans here have the opportunity to see him like this too.
    <font size="3" face="Tempus sans ITC, Papyrus,Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I hope that he does too Barb. [img]smile.gif[/img] You Aussies deserve a slice of the DH pie. [img]wink.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member vegemite's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 9th, 2002
    Posts
    1,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Janie, thank you so much for you review! It sounds like you had an amazing experience at the LP & I am really glad you got to meet Darren. Cant wait to see the pictures! I loved what you said about all the of songs... as I was reading what you had to say I was going through some of the stuff I wrote down & I loved your interpretations [img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks again for sharing!!

  9. #9
    Lainbrain
    Guest Lainbrain's Avatar

    Post

    Thank you for the awesome review Janie. It sounds like we will be feeling a lot with this new album. Im glad you got to meet him properly too forums

    Did he smell good as everyone always says? forums

  10. #10
    DarrensPassion
    Guest DarrensPassion's Avatar

    Post

    Actually Lain, I couldn't detect any particular smell on him at all!! I could smell him more at TCFC concert. How strange, because he had his arm right round me forums

    Janie xx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •